Monday, August 11, 2008

A new chapter

Evan started pre-k today. It was not nearly as traumatic for me as it was for moms who were sending their kids to new schools with lunchboxes, backpacks, and school uniforms. For us, it was merely a return to a familiar place to promote to a new classroom since we were fortunate enough to get into the lottery-funded pre-k program at the Frazer Center - where Evan has been since he was 15 months old. Nevertheless, it is a new chapter in our lives and we are excited to watch Evan grow and learn (apparently he's even going to learn French).


Pressley and I started our own new routine this morning. From now on when we drop Evan off at school, we will head to the gym so I can work out and she can play in the Kidz Klub. She throughly enjoyed herself this morning and when I returned, she was covered in Cheeto dust, so I know she had a good time. Riding toys, books, slides and cheese puffs - what more could a 2 year old ask for?? As for me, I have eliminated as many excuses to keep me from going to the gym as possible. Since I have to drop Evan off before 8, I no longer have to get up early to work out. In fact, with this new schedule, I'll actually get to sleep a little later since all I will have to do is roll out of bed and into my workout clothes before taking him to school. Since I can take Pressley with me, that will not provide an excuse either. So, when you see me, ask me if I've been going to the gym 5 days a week. My answer better be YES.

There are still a few kinks in the routine that we'll have to work out. For example, Pressley has had 2 mini-naps in the car today, but no real nap. I will try again to put her down after we pick Evan up at 2:30, but who knows whether that will be successful. My hope is that Evan is so exhausted from his first day of big boy school that he will nap too. Is that too much to hope for?

No comments: