Sunday, August 17, 2008

First week of pre-k

Well, our first week of pre-k is over. Thank goodness. It was a week of highs and lows. After missing Tuesday and Wednesday because of his fever, Evan returned to school on Thursday and had another banner day. I spent my free time working out with a personal trainer (the freebie you get when you join the gym) and running errands. Then I picked the kids up, we went to the park...it was lovely. Cut to Friday. At the breakfast table, Pressley asks what the plan is for the day (not exactly in those words) and I tell her we are taking Evan to school and then going to the gym. Pressley was very excited about going to the gym, what with the expectation of beeing fed Cheetos at 9 a.m. and all. Evan was not amused. He got it into his head that the gym must be this magical, mystical place that he was missing out on. I tried to convince him that it was no such thing, but he is stubborn and tends to believe what he wants to believe. That set off a chain of events that was most unpleasant. I tried to be perky and encouraging and sympathetic to coax him into his classroom at school, but that didn't work so well for me. So after the 10th time that he refused to enter his classroom with the stubborn statement "I don't LIKE school!", I started threatening and counting and whatever else I could think of. I finally resorted to threatening to spank him. Yes, we spank in our house. It did not go as planned, however, since the whole way down the hallway toward the bathroom for the spanking Evan was yelling, "You're going to HIT me!! You're going to HIT me!!" Yes, indeed I was. I'm ready for my mother of the year award now!!

When that didn't work either, I took away one of his beloved Jibbitz out of his Crocs. Took his Croc off right in the middle of the hallway and took Lightning McQueen clean off his shoe. THAT got him. Still, he was not cooperative until one of his teachers mercifully intervened. He has been promised the return of Lightning McQueen if he is cooperative tomorrow morning. We'll see how that goes.

The irony of the whole thing is that, when we got to the magical, mystical gym, Pressley cried. Seriously!?!?!

No comments: