Monday, October 6, 2008

Call me crazy

You would think that after the busy day we had on Saturday that we would have just taken it easy on Sunday. You would think wrong. I have had it in my head for a few weeks now that when Pressley gets her big girl bed, we should rearrange "some" other furniture upstairs and convert the office/ guest room into an office/ play room in an attempt to re-claim the order in our downstairs living spaces. We ordered Pressley's big girl mattress yesterday and I talked Corin into my crazy scheme of moving most of the furniture in both kids' rooms and the guest room in a giant and heavy game of musical chairs. I knew it would be difficult, but I had no idea how difficult. Here was my original plan: Pressley would get the antique headboard and dresser from the guest room, a queen mattress and some cute new bedding. Evan would get the antique headboard that has been in our garage since we moved in, a queen mattress, and some cute new bedding. The queen bed in the guest room (and other furniture) would be replaced with Evan's twin trundle bed, leaving the whole middle of the room open for toys and play. Little did we know when we started this process - that we planned to finish up between dinner and the kids' bed times - that Evan's bed would have to come apart to fit through the door and Pressley's crib would have to come apart to fit through her door. Oh, and the antique bed (full-sized) in the garage that we had just purchased converter rails and a new mattress for would not accept converter rails. So, this morning I had to call and cancel the mattress order and order a full-sized mattress instead that will fit on the existing bed rails. Needless to say, we did not finish the project. There are stray mattresses everywhere. Last night, Evan slept on a twin mattress on the floor in the middle of his new full-sized bed frame. Pressley slept in her still-assembled crib in the middle of the floor with a head board and foot board behind it against the wall. Corin and I slept... soundly. We were exhausted. (And, I had to take two benadryl to combat the allergy attack brought on by all the dust we kicked up.) More to do tonight and probably tomorrow night as well. It's gonna be a long week. But the promise of not having to look at the doll house, the mini-kitchen and the tool bench every time I walk in the back door is spurring me on. And, I am convinced that the end result will be fabulous. I'm even thinking of doing some chair rails and decorative painting in the kids' rooms when we get everything else in place. Just don't tell Corin that part yet. He's liable to either have heart failure or divorce me -- not sure which.

To our future overnight guests: Not to worry, the kids will be sleeping in the playroom when we have company, and company will be sleeping in the kids' queen and full beds. I have it all figured out.

No comments: