Sunday, April 18, 2010

Siblings

I have been wanting to write this post for a long time, but for some reason, I've just been having such a hard time getting to the computer. (Incidentally, if you are wishing I would post more often, feel free to contribute to my laptop fund!!)

I digress. I have been so enjoying this stage in the kids' relationship as brother and sister. Evan and Pressley are so sweet together (most of the time) these days. They are very playful and loving. And he is very protective - well, unless he is tormenting her. Which brings me to the first story I wanted to share

While we were on Spring Break a couple of weeks ago, the kids enjoyed playing on the beach and in the pool together. Last summer, both were strong swimmers, but Pressley seems to have forgotten that she can swim. In fact, she said one day in amazement of another little girl her age in the pool, "Look, Mommy...that little girl can swim!" Ummm, I answered... "So can YOU!"

But she was having none of it. The pool was a "lagoon" pool and was centered around two small "islands". Evan enjoyed swimming back and forth to the islands, but Pressley wouldn't leave the security of the steps. (Even though toward the end of the trip, she was swimming on the surface of the water. It just happened to be the surface above the steps.) Anyway, Evan decided Pressley shouldn't have to miss the islands and the waterfall, so he decided he would carry her there across the shallow end. Then he decided he would play a good old fashoined game of UPsy Daisy with her. It went something like this....Step, Step, Step, Dunk (as he said UPsy daisy); Step, Step, Dunk; Step, Dunk; Dunk; Dunk; Dunk. The closer together the dunks (and the UPsy daisies) got, the more she sputtered. Mom and dad and I - through our laughter - were yelling, "Evan! No! Stop sweetie! She can't breathe!" When he finally stopped and deposited her safely on the steps, she looked at us, bewildered, and said (not really so mad as she was confused), "Why did Evan keep ducking me under the water and saying upsy daisy? He just kept doing it and saying upsy daisy! Just ducking me under and saying upsy daisy...."

Ahhh, siblings.



Then, we were at church last Wednesday night. After our activities were done, I was letting the kids run around and play in the courtyard outside while I chatted with my mom. (I like to wear them out before I bring them home whenever possible, and this night I knew Corin was working late and I'd have the bedtime shift by myself...) So they were playing and Pressley tripped over a seam in the sidewalk (she is her mama's child) and splatted on the pavement. I tried - I really did - not to react. But I knew it hurt. After I stifled a gasp, I tried the whole, "You're OK. Hop up and brush it off" thing, but it was too late. She'd heard the stifled gasp and she knew her knees and elbow were scraped. She ran to me and climbed up in my lap, howling.

Sweet little Evan (of recent dunking fame) came running over with concern in his eyes and gently placed a hand on each of her knees to keep the air from getting to her scrapes. They both stayed like that for a few seconds and then Pressley let go of me and leaned over to him and just hugged him and held him. It melted my heart. A precious moment indeed.

Ahhh, siblings.

When we go to the shoe store and the cashier gives her stickers, she asks if she can also have some for her brother who is at school. (And she doesn't ever keep them for herself.) He helps her get buckled in her carseat and sometimes even unbuckles her without being asked. She cheers for him at his basketball and soccer games. He tries to teach her to read.

Ironically, since I started this post, they have been fighting like cats and dogs. Despite the fact that Pressley has been at Berry with me this weekend and Evan has been home with his dad. You'd think they would have missed each other.

I have threatened to make them eat dinner alone in their rooms. Threatened to make them go to bed early. But the best thing I could have done is just what I did. Sit right here and finish this post and remind myself that I am really fortunate (and maybe we're even raising them right) that they love each other as much as they do.

I am optimistic that as they grow up, no matter how much they bicker, they will always love each other deeply, protect each other fiercly, enjoy each other's company, and yes, even torment each other from time to time. Because, after all...that's what siblings are for. Right?

1 comment:

MHunter said...

What a sweet picture!