Monday, August 10, 2009

First day of school !!

Well, it happened. Evan has started "big school." We officially have a kindergartner in our household. This morning was a bit crazy. I dutifully labelled all the school supplies last night and got them packed into the backpack. I asked Evan what he wanted for lunch. I thought I had it all together. We got up at 7 as planned (having two adults awake at 7 is a big departure from routine in our house). Both of the kids had to be roused. Of course, when you need them up, they sleep. When you want them to sleep, they wake us up. But that is a rant for another day....
We finally got everybody dressed, fed, hair brushed, teeth brushed, and ready to get out the door. I managed to pack a lunch - after one ill-fated attempt to use the cute little divided container I love. The thing just fits into the lunch bag, but then there is no room for the yogurt Evan wanted or the afternoon snack. So, I had to take it all out of the container and put it into baggies. Precious time wasted.
We got out the door at 7:46. Sixteen minutes later than I had planned to leave. We turned onto the street where the school is located and there were cars parked all the way to the corner. We found a spot and parked to walk the rest of the way. I'm guessing we walked about half a mile in what seemed like 100% humidity. Evan was a trooper wearing his backpack loaded down with school supplies. We finally reached the school at 8:00 on the dot. We made it to the classroom just as the principal came on the intercom and invited the parents to exit the building.
There was very little time for ceremony at the door. No time for posed pictures, much to my chagrin. Evan just walked on into the classroom and his teacher, Mrs. Appling, took his lunch and his backpack and sent him off to find his seat. No hugs. No tears (from Evan or me). No drama.
I did manage to take a couple of photos in all the chaos. Here is Evan just before we headed out the door.

Evan and Daddy on the long walk from the car.

Evan in his classroom with his teacher, Mrs. Appling, who is expecting her first child. There should be a rule against kindergarten teachers getting pregnant, don't you think? :-) First the kids have to adjust to a new school and a new teacher and then just about the time they get settled in... BAM! Long-term sub... (For the record, I have been assured by a former teacher at Mary Lin that the long-term sub will be highly qualified, and I have no doubt that Evan will adjust just fine.)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: