Sunday, August 16, 2009

Allow me to backtrack a bit

So, I'm sure I've said this before, but Facebook is incredible. I know there are a lot of FB haters out there, but it has allowed me to re-connect with some folks that have really meant a lot to me over the years. Case in point, one of my best friends from the 1st through the 6th grade was Sara K. We were thick as thieves. I have great memories of walking home with her from school (she was so lucky that she got to walk to school), playing in her back-yard (she had a creek back there), taking private flute lessons together (ok, so that wasn't one of the happier memories), clogging together, and the list goes on.

I moved to Florida at the end of the 6th grade and, though we returned to Atlanta, I ended up at a different high school and Sara and I lost touch. Enter FB 25 years later.... Sara lives in Boston now and has two super-cute kids who are the same ages as my kids. Her parents still keep an apartment in Atlanta, so she comes to visit every once in a while. When we first got in touch, she said we should get together the next time she was in town. I've heard that before. Everyone says it, but no one really does it.

But here is the amazing thing: Sara did. She was in town in June and she brought her kids to a park near me for a play date. We had run into each other briefly after college, but we had not really seen each other since 1984. I have to say, I was a little nervous about our meeting. I didn't know if we would have much in common anymore. But, we did. It was great. Sara even brought her parents, who looked exactly the same as they did when we were kids, except that Mr. K now sports a beard and mustache. Sara had also contacted another friend of ours (from ye olden days), Tracie, who also still lives in the area. Tracie brought her daughter too, and we all had a blast. The three moms talked and the five kids played like they had known each other, lo all these years.

It was such a great day, I just thought I would share it. And now, I will share photos from 1984 (and before). Please refrain from laughing at what may be the most awful haircut I have ever seen on a tween (long before we were called tweens). I'm really putting myself out there with these:

Here is a clogging picture of us, I'm guessing from the late 70s, early 80s. That is me on the left and Sara on the right. I'm not sure who the girl in the middle is.


Here we are playing the flute together in the 6th grade band.

And here is one of Tracie and me having lunch together in the 6th grade. Front row: Tracie, Christy T. and Jenny W. Back row: Mr. "O.D" (the P.E. coach) and me. I can't believe I ate lunch with the man who made me run laps for 6 years and wouldn't let me use my asthma as an excuse to get out of it! :-) And I appear to be smiling at him.

Here is a photo of our kids playing together: Tracie's Kayla; Pressley; Evan; Sara's Eric and Mikayla (I hope I spelled that right).


One last pic of me and my kids, Sara and her kids, and Tracie and Kayla.



Good times!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: