Tuesday, September 9, 2008

WaterSound mini-vacation

We are back from WaterSound. We had an absolutely lovely mini-vacation. As you can see from the photo above, WaterSound is an absolutely gorgeous development on the gulf coast. The sand dunes there are just remarkable and we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. I guess it is still largely undiscovered. The weather was gorgeous. The kids were delightful. I am just so glad we are able to do stuff like this.

The first day there was largely consumed by catching crabs. I have never seen so many crabs. Corin was catching them and putting them in buckets, but eventually had to stop because we ran out of buckets. Here is a photo of Evan holding the first catch. Under the photo links, there are more pictures of the crabs in the multiple buckets. The kids had a ball watching and "feeding" little clams to the crabs.


The next day, we didn't have as much luck with the crabs, so Evan decided he wanted to be buried in the sand.


Last night, we went to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants down there. It was practically deserted, which was kind of nice since we have been known to wait an hour and a half for a table there. Anyway, when we were seated, the "adults" at the table next to ours scowled visibly at us and then promptly asked their server to move them to another table. Corin and I were both indignant. Our kids are usually pretty well-behaved in restaurants, but these folks didn't even give them a chance. The first thing they did at their new table was laugh VERY loudly with their waitress and the next thing they did was receive a phone call, which one of them answered, and then proceeded to have a conversation at the top of his voice. Our kids, on the other hand, were well-mannered, quiet (almost the whole time), and polite to the waiter--thanking him each time he brought something to the table. Now, I ask you... would you rather sit at a table next to two ADORABLE and perfectly delightful children or next to three loud adults who have the bad manners to answer a cell phone call (loudly) at the dinner table? I think I know the answer. I rest my case.


Today was our last day at the beach. We had to check out of the condo by 10 a.m. local time, so we loaded up the car and then headed down to the beach for one last hour. We were pleasantly surprised to find an apparent storm during the night (that we did not hear or see) left a large tidal pool on the beach. The kids thoroughly enjoyed playing in the shallow water and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting in my chair with the ocean breeze on my face and watching my children play. I could not have asked for a more pleasant 4 days.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: