Thursday, September 11, 2008

Boy, they grow up fast...

Evan's first soccer practice is tomorrow night, which meant that when we got home from our beach trip, the first order of business was getting him some cleats and shin guards. Since there is not a sports store near our house, I decided we would go to the Sports Authority at Northlake on our way to Wednesday night supper at church. I did not expect to spend 50 minutes picking out cleats, but apparently I am behind the 8 ball and all of the on-top-of-it-soccer-moms had bought up all the size 12 cleats. So, we had to try on every pair in the store. Naturally, the ones Evan liked were not available, so we talked him into a pair that cost $12 more and he was more or less happy. Then, when the sales lady walked us back to get the shin guards, I'll be darned if there wasn't a pair of size 12 Nikes with the blue stripes (and $12 cheaper) right there on the shelf with the shin guards. Now we had a dilemma.... We had to talk Evan back into the ones he wanted originally because we had so successfully talked him in to the more expensive ones, he was resistant to going back. The only reason it mattered is because the cheaper ones came in part of a "soccer package" that included shin guards and a ball. So, we convinced Evan to get the cheaper shoes by promising him a ball that he would otherwise not have gotten. I think I save about $3 and ended up with a ball we did not need.


OK, but none of that is the point of the story. The point of the story is that Evan was so thrilled with his new cleats and shin guards that he wanted to wear them to church. Since this kind of thing falls into the category of "not-worth-fighting-over", I told him that was fine. We'd show them to GranNan and Poppy at supper and then he could put his Crocs back on before he went to his class. He never changed out of them until we got back home, but I should have been able to predict that. He was so cute showing them to his little friends at church. What made the whole thing even sillier was that the only socks I took with us to try on the cleats were ankle socks. So, he was running around with his shin guards totally exposed. I never played soccer, but I'm fairly certain that falls into the category of "silly looking." But, the proud look on his face overshadowed any silliness and my only regret is not thinking to take a picture to share with you.


As for Pressley growing up fast... we had a busy morning this morning. Long story short (ish) - she fell asleep on the way home from the dentist/ eating lunch and didn't want to go back down for a proper nap after having a 5 minute snooze in the car. I left her in her crib anyway, hoping she would eventually give in and sleep for what little time we had left before we had to pick Evan up from school. A few minutes passed and all was quiet, so I thought I had won. Ohhhh, but no such luck. I heard a door close and looked up to see the little stinker coming down the hall. I asked her how on earth she got out of her crib and she said, "I sleep in crib..." Yeah, right. Then she informed me she had a dirty diaper. We took care of the diaper and then I put her back in her crib and asked her to show me how she got out. She reached up and grabbed the "foot" of the crib (for lack of a better description) and threw one leg over the side and then the other, and then shimmied down the side. When she reached the floor, she threw both arms in the air and grinned up at me proudly. The only thing missing was the Ta-dah!! I mean, seriously! I guess now we have to get her in a big girl bed since the crib is no longer doing its job.


UPDATE: While I was typing the paragraph about Evan, he was apparently downstairs getting into his shin guards and cleats, but got stalled and called for my help. So, I have a photo for you after all. How lucky was that?? Ta-dah!!

No comments: