Thursday, September 4, 2008

Settling in

First of all - welcome to all the new folks who have told me they are reading! Thanks to my dad and a couple of friends who have linked me on their blogs, I no longer feel like I'm talking to myself.

This has been a much better week. Evan and I are working the kinks out of the morning routine and we are getting to school more or less on time with minimal power plays. Whew! Homework has even gotten easier, though Evan still thinks I'm a complete idiot. He told my mom tonight that he didn't know mommy was smart. He knew daddy was smart, but not so sure about mommy. Lovely. Oh, and he told my mom that if mommy and daddy are both smart, he must be smarter than both of us. My mom tried to explain to him the error in his logic, but apparently she doesn't have much credibility either. It is much more likely that some kid named Ethan in his class knows best. Last time Corin and I tried to explain to Evan that he had the words of a song/poem wrong, he reported back to me the next day that Ethan had backed him up, so he's still pretty sure that he's right and we're wrong. I realize that all of this probably does mean that he is going to be a very bright boy and logical thinker like his father, but meanwhile, I just don't like being told I'm wrong all the time. I'm kinda stubborn that way. I am trying very hard, though, to understand that this is probably just a very important stage in his development and I shouldn't take it too personally.

Another huge milestone this week: Pressley has stopped crying every time she goes to the gym with me. I have a hard enough time getting into the habit of going to the gym as it is without the peanut gallery in the back seat crying and screaming "NO gym, mommy, NO gym!" I need a cheerleader, not an antagonist. We are somewhere in the middle now, and I'll take what I can get.

We are off to the beach on Saturday for one last hoorah before the weather gets too cold (hopefully). We are planning to stay on the gulf coast for 3 nights, so we are praying for no hurricanes. So, next time I post, I should have some cute pictures to share. I think--and this will be news to Corin--I'm going to try to get a family picture of us on the beach, so I'll be sure to post it if we get a good one. However, anyone who has a 2 and 4 year old knows that the chances of that are slim...

No comments: