Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Early Christmas festivities

Lord knows we are nowhere near done with all the celebrating. But, I'm going to try to go back and catch up on all the fun we've had since we got back from New York.

The first Wednesday after Thanksgiving was our "Praise Pals" Christmas program at church. This is my first year being responsible for the Praise Pals music, so the program was particularly stressful for me this year. Especially since we had exactly 3 20-minute sessions after Halloween in which to prepare any Christmas songs. I just couldn't bring myself to start doing Christmas music with 3, 4, and 5 year olds before Halloween. Who does that?

Anyway, they did a great job. We did 3 non-Christmas songs, a simple version of Come All Ye Faithful, and a rousing rendition of Jingle Bells, complete with jingle bells. They were cute. And, I was relieved when it was over.

The following Wednesday night was the Gingerbread House competition at church. I was skeptical of how it would go since last year, the whole thing ended in tears when Pressley realized our house didn't win a prize. I upped my game this year and brought in supplies purchased ahead of time, but still tried to prepare the kids for the inevitable fact that we would not win. Luckily, I had to run off to choir practice during the judging, so I was not there to witness the chips falling where they may. However, I was told by my mom and Corin that, while there was some pouting, it was short-lived and did not ruin the evening.

Finally, the kids both had special goings-on at school on their last day. Pressley had a Christmas program, in which her class sang a song called Holiday Celebrations set to the tune of "There's a Hole in the Bucket." Pressley and her friend, Lila, got to introduce the number to the very large crowd. They did a great job. And then, Pressley, as usual, proceded to steal the show. (Well, that was my perception anyway, and it's my blog.) She was, shall we say, very expressive and passionate about singing the song.


Evan had his class party the same day. One of the room moms planned some crafts (show-off) and of course, there was WAY too much sugar consumed by a room full of six and seven year olds. SOOOOO glad I was not the teacher that had to try to control them for the remaining hour and a half of the day.


Stay tuned. Much more to come.

No comments: