Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A celebrity among us

We had a little ice here last week. Very little. But, it meant that Pressley got an unexpected school vacation. (Evan's school - an Atlanta Public School - was open all day, but the private institution where Pressley's pre-k is housed decided to close all day.) So, P and I had a mommy/ daughter day. I had errands to run at the mall and a lunch to go to with my GSU co-workers, but I had to cancel the lunch.


As we were on our way to the mall, Pressley was complaining about not getting to go to school. Trying to empathize, I told her that I was disappointed too, because I had had to cancel my plans. But then I amended my response to add that I was also happy because I was unexpectedly going to get to spend the day with her. She said, "Yeah. Me too. One of my eyes is happy and one of my eyes is sad. [Long pause.] But, now they are both happy because I get to be with you mommy!" So, so cute!


Then, once we were at the mall, we were in the housewares department at Macy's and the ladies there were making quite a fuss over Pressley. They talked to her about whether she was going to see Santa (and were quite amused by her qualification that she was going to see Santa, but that she would not be having her picture made, because she only planned to get close enough to tell him what she wants for Christmas). They came out from behind the counter to see her outfit and fussed over how cute she looked. So, when we were ready to leave, they both shouted after us... "Bye Pressley. Have fun with Santa!" etc., etc. She gave them a little backward wave, and as we were getting on the elevator I said to her, "You are just like a celebrity everywhere we go, aren't you?" And she replied, "That's because everybody thinks I'm so cute!" Ahhh, yes. Well, we don't have any self-esteem issues to work on quite yet!



We had a lovely day together, and though I missed my grown-up lunch that I had been looking forward to, I cherish these times I get to spend with one of my kids, one-on-one.



In other new, Evan has lost a second tooth. My dad pulled it for him a couple of weeks ago. I was thrilled with that development, because much like my feelings about butterflies, I also have an irrational fear of loose teeth. Well, not a fear really so much as they just creep me out. Anyway, Evan was fine with all the tooth-pulling and fairy visiting and money making, but Pressley was completely traumatized by the whole thing. Just last night, she called me to her room well after bed-time and lights out to let me know that she does not want to be six. Because she does not want her teeth to come out and bleed. Oy! We have a long road ahead of us....

No comments: