Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Evan is SIX

We have been up to our eyeballs in birthday and end-of-the-school-year fun around here. Evan turned SIX yesterday. So hard to believe. Six years ago we were sitting at a Longhorn Steakhouse timing contractions before heading over to my granny's house for my cousin's birthday celebration. At 6:19 the next morning, the most beautiful baby I had ever seen was laid in my arms, and my love for that sweet baby has grown every day since. Even though he is not a baby anymore. Now, he is a handsome, sweet, sensitive, pensive, smart, inquisitive, cuddly, and caring big boy.



We had his birthday party for his friends at his karate studio. The kids had a blast. We really didn't know what to expect, but we were pleased with what we got! The kids started out with some warm ups, and then played games, watched demonstrations, etc.



Here are some pictures of the warm-up. The sensai(s) taught them some stretches and animal poses after letting Evan stand up front with them to "bow in".





Here are the kids watching one of the weapons demonstrations. And some pics of the instructors demonstrating weapons and breaking boards. I was a little leery of having 16 kindergarten boys sitting down during a birthday party, but they were fascinated with the demonstrations, so they didn't seem to mind sitting. (And it was never for long.)





The kids also got to "spar" with one another using padded weapons. Evan sparred with his buddy Hayden and with his sister. Pressley gave it her all, but she got smoked....





One of the last games they played before cake was called "drag racing." As you can see, the kids partnered up and each held onto a short piece of canvas as one dragged the other from one end of the floor to the other. Some of the partners were a little unequal in their sizing, and you'll see below, Sensai Doug had to push Pressley's 7 year old cousin, Abby, while Pressley pulled her.



Finally, it was time for cake. Evan wanted a Power Ranger theme for this year's party. He didn't just want one power ranger; he wanted three. I told him I wasn't making any promises, but that I would give it a shot. I think it turned out pretty well, but it is definitely one of the toughest ones I've done. Good thing I keep getting better, because apparently these kids are going to keep pushing me to my cake-decorating limit!





Happy Birthday, sweet Evan. We could not be more proud of the big boy our baby has become.

1 comment:

The Rambling Blogger said...

i love reading your posts. i see such joy when you talk about the kids but love that you also are open about frustrations and trials. SIX!! i've said it before, but i/we cannot be six years older than when we were sitting outside the mediation room during that GAL case.