Monday, June 7, 2010

Oh, my!

Has it really been two weeks since I last posted? I know I say this all the time, but it seems to be always true... We have been so busy. Here is just a sampling of what we've been up to in the last 14 days:
  • Two swim meets (12 practices);
  • A trip to the lake with the family;
  • Celebrating my birthday (and this year, I use the word "celebrating" rather loosely!);
  • Hosting Kerry and Kate for a visit;
  • A trip to the zoo;
  • A trip to the Peachtree DeKalb Airport for the Good Neighbor Day air show;
  • And, the first day of Saddle Ridge Ranch: A VBS adventure.

This is my 3rd year helping at VBS, and my first year acting as the co-preschool-worship-leader. What this means is that I made my official acting debut this morning. Actually, I guess it is not my debut. There was that time in the 10th grade that I played a very convincing varsity volleyball player who was moving away from her friends in the youth musical "Friends." Right before singing my first-ever solo. It was quite the performance. (...And friends are friends forever, if the Lord's the Lord of them...And a friend will not say never; and the welcome will not end...). Oh, I'm sorry you missed it.

I'm sure my sister is also sad you missed it. She sang a lovely little ditty, complete with choreography, about her 501s and her new blue sweater....her RayBan shades and some old love letters.... Ah, memories.

Anywho...today's performance had me playing a fancy french-trained chef who has come to be the substitute cook on a ranch for a week. I am having some big problems fitting in and figuring out how to cook appropriately for a ranch, and my new friend and ranch-hand, Dixie, is going to tell me a Bible story each day that will help me figure it all out. I'll be waiting for the Oscar committee to call. I have to do a lot of crying, and let me tell you....I am fabulous at the fake crying. So convincing I heard a little girl ask Pressley, "Is your mommy really crying or is she pretending?" I think I've missed my calling.

I hope you all recognize the sarcasm. I know sometimes it does not come out well in print, but this post is oozing with it. OK. Just makin' sure.... I am actually quite a horrible actor, but am willing to do what I can for the VBS cause. For the record, that little girl really did ask Pressley if I was really crying. I need to find her mom and let her know that she needs to teach a little street savvy if she can't tell the difference. I mean, when someone actually uses the words "BOO HOO HOO", chances are she is not really crying. (OK, I didn't actually say boo hoo hoo, but I might as well have. It was that bad. But to my credit, I was supposed to be over the top.)

Well, I will put up some new posts soon with some photos of my extraordinarily cute kids and our summer activities. You should not hold your breath hoping to see some of me in my very pretty VBS t-shirt, complete with apron and chef's hat. I won't be posting any of those unless I'm feeling particularly self-deprecating. If you don't stumble onto me while dropping your child off at VBS (or happen to be one of the lucky ones who is working in a preschool class and thereby actually gets to watch this drama unfold), you'll just have to use your imagination.

No comments: