Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Soccer and Art

And, yes. To answer your question, that is the cleverest (ok, most clever) title I could come up with tonight. It's been a long day.

You may wonder why it has been a while since I've posted...or you may not have noticed. Maybe you've been too busy to notice. Maybe you have a schedule that now includes gymnastics, soccer, swimming, and karate, with swimming being every night of the week. Oh, wait. That's me.

So tonight should have been swimming from 5 - 5:45 and then a soccer game (to make up for one that was rained out earlier this season) at 6:00. I did not know until I went to the bus stop today that swimming is now 6 days a week as opposed to the 3 days it has been for the last 2 weeks. Apparently the only reason it was 3 days the first 2 weeks is because Agnes Scott charges us for lane time and we didn't want to have to pay more than necessary. But now that swim practice has moved to the neighborhood pool, they can make us be there as often as they want.

I asked Evan if he wanted to go to swimming for 30 minutes before his soccer game, and would he have enough energy to play soccer if he went to swim practice. He said he wouldn't have enough energy for both and that was that.

So we went to the soccer game only, which was fabulous by the way. Evan is just kickin' some major booty out there this season. So much so, that after he had scored his 4th goal about 15 minutes in (he would go on to score 6), the parents starting saying things like, "Boy, Evan is on fire tonight!" and "What did you feed that kid for dinner?" (Why, yes, he does appear to be on fire. Too bad I didn't think to feed him dinner before the game. Just think what he might have done...)

I had planned to take the kids to Moe's for dinner after the game because daddy is out of town, and what mom do you know that cooks when daddy is out of town? However, when the good moms arrived at the soccer game with the kids that were still wet from swim practice, they informed me that tonight was Art Portfolio night at school and they had packed dinner for their families so they could eat in the car and go straight to Art Night. To which I replied..."Uhhh. That was tonight??"

Well, you'll be happy to know that we made it to Moe's for a super-fast burrito (For Evan, there is no other kind. I've never seen a kid suck down a Joey Jr. as fast as this kid can. But I digress.) and still made it to art night. Granted, the hallways were somewhat deserted when we arrived, but the doors were unlocked and there was art on the walls. So, by my standards, we made it.

Below you'll find a couple few photos of my multi-talented eldest child. MVP on the soccer field (according to me) and budding artist:





Oh, and this is the butterfly - one of many - that kept landing on me during the soccer game. I know most people think butterflies are all peaceful and tranquil and beautiful, but have I mentioned before that they creep me out? I mean really creep me out. I may never recover from that one visit to the butterfly house at Calloway Gardens. [shudder] It is a wonder that I remained composed and took this photo (of my chest) instead of getting up and running away screaming like a little girl! But I thought that might be bad form.

And, I might be a wee tad biased, but I think this just might be the most handsome 5-almost-6-year-old I have ever seen. I mean...look at that kid!

Finally, a collage of some of his art:

No comments: