Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fun family night

We tried something new tonight.
Somehow I have gotten on the e-mail distribution list for Georgia State's athletics program. And recently, I received an e-mail about GSU basketball. A little light went off in my head. The kids might really enjoy going to a college basketball game on a smaller scale. Particularly since Evan is playing basketball for the first time this winter.
(I promise I'll blog soon about his basketball season. It has been a hoot.)
So, we decided to check out a game tonight. It was homecoming. I told Corin when we were going down the stairs from the parking garage that the last time I attended a college basketball homecoming game, I was in a long, corduroy Laura Ashley dress with a BIG OL' collar. Ahh, the memories.
But, back to GSU. We had a really fun family night. We were almost completely derailed when we arrived at the same time as the GSU panther in his full blue furry costume. He must not have been as terrifying as Monkey Joe, because we were able to move past it after about 15 minutes.
We got to the game late, but Pressley very much enjoyed the dancers and the cheerleaders and Evan very much enjoyed sitting next to daddy and getting the play by play on what was going on in the game.
And you can't beat a $9.00 dinner for the entire family. Well, nutritionally, you can. But where else can you get 2 hot dogs, a slice of pizza, a box of popcorn, a bag of skittles and 4-20 oz sodas for nine bucks? I dare you to try to top the economical value. (Don't worry. We'll feed them nothing but vegetables all day tomorrow.)
The game itself was a nail-biter. GSU led by a narrow margin for most of the game against William and Mary, but in the last seconds, W&M pulled ahead, and then with something like 6 or 9 seconds left on the clock, GSU had the ball - down three points. Some dude shot a 3 pointer with about 1 second left to send the game into overtime, but alas, it was not meant to be. The ball bounced off the rim and we were on our way home.
I think we'll definitely do it again. After all, how many folks have a college basketball stadium ten minutes from their front door? And did I mention the nine dollar dinner. Oh, I guess I did.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: