Thursday, May 14, 2009

No. I swim like this!

A brief update on swim lessons: Pressley is doing great.

Week 1: well... you heard about week 1.

Week 2: Pressley ran into the locker room as soon as we arrived, then had to be coaxed, bribed and threatened into the pool. Pitched short little fits, but eventually gave in and did fine once she was in the water.

Week 3: Pressley very calmly walks over to the pool, flicks her shoes off and waves/ yells to her instructor, who is already in the pool, "Hiiiiii Keithan! I not cry and fuss today." And then she runs over to the edge, flips onto her tummy and shimmies into the water. Completely different child. Oh, and before we went to swimming on Wednesday, we had lunch with GranNan. When we were in line to order our food, I noticed P had her arms straight out in front of her with one hand on top of the other. I asked if that is what she does with her hands when she swims. She quickly folded her hands behind her neck, threw her head back and said, "No. I swim like this!" I think she is referring to floating on her back. Whatever. I'll take it.

I am very grateful for this turn-around. There was so much potential for disaster early on. I'm now considering signing up for an additional 8 lessons over the first 2 weeks of June. I am now much more optimistic that she might actually be able to keep herself afloat this summer with a little additional instruction, and that would just make all the difference in my comfort level at the pool for the remainder of the summer. (Don't worry mom, I will not get too comfortable...I know I still have to watch them.) Problem is, we can request Mr. Keithan again, but there are no guarantees we would get him again. And who knows if a different instructor would yield an entirely different result.

(Footnote re Mr. Keithan: He is a very quiet and gentle young man who seems to be absolutely great with Pressley and Benjamin. I don't believe he has ever spoken a word to the mommies, but if he's that good with my kid....I'm ok with that. He's not rude. I think he's just very, very shy.)

Stay tuned. I may have two swimmers by the time we head off on vacation at the end of June. And that would be fantastic.

1 comment:

Betty Lou said...

In SS I ask P for an update on swim lessons. Sun. b4 last B piped up to tell of his experience, it could be she doesn't want to be outdone.