Friday, November 21, 2008

No school today

I was awakened this morning by the phone ringing. Well, actually, I was awakened for the first time by Pressley calling for me, so I went anc climbed into bed with her at 6:30. I was awakened for the second time at 7 when she insisted that I take her downstairs for breakfast. And I was awakened the third time by the phone ringing at 7:15. On the phone was Ms. Sheila, one of Evan's teachers from school. She was calling to let us know that a water main was broken near school and the school was without water, so opening would be delayed. Fabulous. I turned off the alarm and waited to be awakened for the fourth time when Evan got up....

I spent all morning hanging around the house waiting for the phone call saying that the water was back on and the kids should come to school. I finally got tired of feeling trapped in my own house and we decided to make a quick trip to the grocery store so we could make cookies. On the way to the grocery store, I got an e-mail saying that the water would not be restored until tomorrow, so no school today. And no Thanksgiving program this afternoon at 3 p.m. I was so ready to post pictures of the kids in silly turkey hats or some such thing. But, that will have to wait until Monday.

After a slow start, we had a good day. The trip to the store was, thankfully, uneventful and we came home to make chocolate chip cookies. Apparently, in 4-1/2 years, I have never done this with my eldest child. He seemed to have no concept of why we couldn't eat the cookies the minute we got home. I guess I've been so caught up in trying to make sure that my kids don't follow in my footsteps with weight struggles that I have deprived them of ever baking with mommy. Shameful. They thoroughly enjoyed the baking, the licking of the beaters and the eating of the cookies.

Then it was nap time. Evan threw a total wrench in the works for us. Pressley and I have finally (after 3 months) gotten into a good routine with naps. I don't have to threaten or cajole anymore... I just put her in her room and she goes to sleep. Except when Evan is home and down the hall "resting" and having to be reminded every 5 seconds that "resting" does not mean using your outside voice. Pressley finally did fall asleep despite the ruckus, and I even got a little power nap between Evan's interruptions.

We did love having some extra time to spend with Evan today. However, hopefully the water will be restored to the school over the weekend and we can get back on track on Monday. And have the Thanksgiving program so I can take those photos the kids will hate when they are 14....

No comments: