Sunday, October 3, 2010

Truth be told, I'm still dizzy and maybe a little nauseous

Let me tell you about the kind of living on the edge we are doing around here.

Pressley decided she was not going to take a nap today, so after laying quietly with her for 20 minutes, after no sleep came, I told Corin it would be a napless day and we could do something fun. Evan initially wanted to go to Sky Hike at Stone Mountain, but it was already 3:05, and the internet told me that Sky Hike closed at 5pm today. The internet also told me, though, that Six Flags was open until 10pm, and that if we bought 2011 Season Tickets today, we'd get admission for the rest of this month, all next year, and a parking pass to boot. So, at 3:10, we decided to go to Six Flags.

I know. That's apparently how we roll these days.

We had a blast. Corin and I were inappropriately dressed, because after suffering in the heat at soccer games yesterday, we had Indian Summer on the brain and wore shorts and short sleeves and flip flops. Pressley had already come home from church and put on her new jeans. (Yes, you read that right. For the first time in nearly 2 years, Pressley wore a pair of not-only-pants-but-jeans! I took her to the mall yesterday while the boys played golf and she picked them out herself! OK. I digress....) And Evan had on the long pants he wore to church. Both had put on sneakers when we thought we were going to sky hike, so they were dressed appropriately at least. And I took jackets for them (and me), so no one froze.

But it was chilly! I mean... I know it is October, but this is Atlanta after all.

If I had worn jeans, it would have been absolutely perfect weather to go to Six Flags. The only times I've been there previously, I had melted into a puddle by the time we left, so this was a pleasant change - even inappropriately dressed.

Did I really just spend that many words telling you what we wore? Seriously. You might rather I go back to my bloggers block.

We discovered a couple of new things (aside from how to dress appropriately for October evenings):

1) Pressley is a bit of a thrill-seeker. She did not shy away from one single ride. Her face glowed with excitement and she screamed and clapped her hands with glee on every roller coaster. (Evan was equally thrilled with the adrenaline, but I knew that from summer before last when he and I went to Six Flags with the cousins.)

2) Corin and I are not young. Maybe you knew that. And, I've been seeing signs pointing that direction for a long time, but my old friend The Wheelie made a point of driving the fact home with a vengeance today.

The Wheelie used to be one of my favorite rides, so when the kids saw it and wanted to ride it, I agreed without hesitation. Corin had no intention of riding, but when the lady told me that I could only take one of the kids in my cage, he was pressed into reluctant service. He was a trooper about it, but both of us came off of there a smidge green around the gills.

We proceeded to go from there to my all time favorite ride: The Great American Scream Machine. But, wait.... Has the Scream Machine always been so rough that it makes it feel as if all of your vertebrae are pounding into one another as if no disks are present in between? Because I don't remember that part. Losing your tummy going down the hills, I remember. Crushing pain in my neck vertebrae, I do not recall.

All in all, it was a really fun way to spend a day with the family. But next time, Corin and I will be sticking to the Dahlonega Mine Train and the Wily Coyote Canyon Blaster. With the preschool set.

Here are Corin and Lil' P on the bumper cars:


Evan on the bumper cars:

My three favorite people chillin' (literally) on the sky buckets after dinner:

The kids showing off their souvenirs and happy faces leaving the park:

Honestly, there is no amount of dizziness and nausea I wouldn't endure to put the kind of smiles on those faces that we saw today. Totally worth it!

2 comments:

Shay-Zee said...

AMEN. James and I went there a few years ago, god knows why, and I felt the GA Scream Machine almost put me in the hospital.

MHunter said...

We love 6 Flags. In June we got the combo White Water 6 Flags pass and parking pass and we definitely got our money's worth. We spend alot of time on the toddler rides like Thomas the Train.