Sunday, October 17, 2010

There were four in the bed and the little one said...

I'm crowded. Roll over!

So....we went camping last weekend. The significance of this announcement: It was not only Pressley's first camping trip, but mine as well. Corin decided it was best to break this new ground near home until he could see how his girls were going to do with all the dirt and the sleeping in a tent and the no showers and the trek to the bathroom. So we did this camping at Stone Mountain. Turns out, we both did great. Pressley even embraced the going-potty-in-the-woods-thing. Me... not so much. I preferred to put my shoes on and make the 100 yard trek (maybe not even that far) to the fairly clean facility nearby.


Corin was sure all along that I would have fun. I was not so sure, but my goodness, anyone witnessing their children having such a great time would have to be a fool not to enjoy themselves. The kids thoroughly enjoyed riding the Skylift to the top of the mountain (maybe next time we'll hike it), feeding ducks and geese and fish, climbing in and out (and in and out and in and out) of the tent, roasting marshmallows, and peeing on trees.


I enjoyed the family time and the fact that when we realized that our campfire was just not going to start itself, that we were only 5 minutes away from a convenience store that sold lighter fluid and the Sunday paper.

My parents graciously let us borrow their king-sized airbed. So, it wasn’t even that uncomfortable. Well, for the kids and me, anyway. The three of us slept on the airbed while Corin slept on a mat beside us and made comments about how I was living like a queen “up there” until we fell asleep. I was quick to point out that if he ever wanted to take the whole family camping again, it was in his best interest to make sure I stayed as comfortable as possible. It is not that I’m a princess or anything, but I do like my modern amenities. A lot.


The next morning we got up and my sweet husband made eggs and sausage for breakfast. We had a fantastic view of the lake and the mountain from our picnic table. We filled up and then went to check out the old covered bridge and the grist mill.


And when we decided it was time to come home, it was only a twenty minute drive to a hot shower. Not that I went straight to the shower before fixing lunch for my hungry kids or anything. Oh, wait. Yes I did. In my defense, I knew they'd had a big breakfast and nobody was gonna starve while mommy got the dirt off.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!! We love to camp, and I'm as easy-going as they come (or at least I think so- jeff would probably say differently), but even I have to camp near a bathroom and prefer an air mattress to a sleeping pad!