Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Flying Biscuit (or Flying Doughnut...whatever...)

It has been a while since I've updated about what we've been up to. There is a reason for that. I've been using most of my computer time to try to figure out the best way to print out my blog for posterity (a.k.a. for the kids to show their therapists when they get older to explain how it is I ruined them from an early age). I think I've about got it figured out, thanks to some extensive research on the subject (e.g., using my Facebook status update to solicit useful suggestions). More on that when I get the books in the mail.
Today's report is about my first foray into chaperoning a class field trip last Friday. Evan's class has apparently been learning about community workers in a unit during September. What better way to wrap it up than to go to the most well-known establishment in our little community and see people at work? So, on Friday morning at 8:30, 16 kindergartners, 5 adults, and Pressley set out from school to walk (skip, twirl, hop) down the street to the Flying Biscuit. Pressley has insisted on calling it the Flying Doughnut until yesterday when she finally switched the "The Fly Biscuit."
The kids got to walk back into the kitchen and "make" their own biscuits. Well, the dough was already made and rolled out, but they got to each use the biscuit cutter to cut out their own biscuit. In my mind, they surely, surely, surely threw out these "biscuits" and made a fresh, professional batch to put into the brown baggies that they sent home with each of us.
(Please, please, please.) I mean, there is a health code after all, right?
The kindergartners all handled it pretty well. Pressley, on the other hand, was probably the youngest biscuit cutter they'd ever had. She could barely reach the counter-top, couldn't get the cutter all the way through the dough, and then insisted on digging the "biscuit" out with her fingers to put it on the baking sheet with everyone elses. It was the most squished-up thing I've ever seen.
Then they got to go see where the dishes get washed, then they got to see one of the cooks flipping an egg in a skillet. Then, it was back around front to gather the jackets, the baggies full of biscuits (and apple butter jam) and head (walk, skip, jump, run, climb) back to the school. The round-trip walk was about a mile and a half. I was worried about Miss P, but she held her own and was very grown up about the whole thing most of the way. Whew!
Below: The kids line up outside the Flying Biscuit to go inside; One of our hosts demonstrates the biscuit cutting process; and Mrs. Appling's Apples get ready to head back off to school with their biscuits.
Caveat: the class photo is a little blurry because a) all of these pics were taken with my iPhone, which is much better quality than the blackberry camera, but nonetheless, not "real" camera quality; b) I somehow managed to make a video instead of a snapshot of the class and by the time I figured out how to get out of video mode, the 5 and 6 year olds had all done what 5 and 6 year olds do: they had all disbursed to go about doing their own thing. Sooo, I did figure out how to capture a still shot out of the video so you wouldn't have to watch the wobbly video of the class and then the inside of the purse of the woman next to me while I said, "Oh, shoot. I'm making a video. Giggle, giggle. How do you shut this thing o...?"
But the point is, it is a little blurry as a result. Maybe I should take a photography class. Or maybe just a common sense class. I'll put that on my to do list. For later.
Next post: watch for details on my [cough,cough] 15 year college reunion and Evan's camping trip in the yard with daddy. Lots of photos of the reunion, but none of the camping adventure given it was dark and Evan was out cold by the time the girls got back from Rome.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: