Monday, March 15, 2010

Pregnant friends: look away

Seriously, if you are one of my many pregnant friends (and who knew I'd have so many at the age of 37?), you are not gonna like where this is headed.

I confess: I have started a new diet. I know, I know. If you've known me for more than 30 minutes, you'll be shocked. I'm always embarking on a new diet. The surprising thing about this one is that it seems to be working. Fingers crossed...

The diet is rather restrictive. And restrictive is not a word I embrace in really any area of my life - most of all when it comes to what I can eat. I do not typically enjoy being told what to do (and more precisely - what not to do). Again, if you know me at all, I'm sure you find that just shocking.

I have not been miserable at all, but I must say that I get awfully excited when I can make something I really do like that fits into the whole diet scheme. So, this is why I posted on Facebook today that I was super excited to be having diet-compliant crab stuffed mushrooms for lunch. They looked absolutely yummy, so I even posted a picture: (Exhibit A)

But when I first took a bite, I thought that they tasted a bit bitter. I figured that was because the recipe called for onion flakes and garlic powder rather than actual onions and garlic, and I made a mental note to use real onion and garlic next time. And then I ate them. Well, most of them. I finally decided that the bitterness was a bit off-putting and I wouldn't finish them. Then I went upstairs to put Pressley down for her nap. Then I had to lie down too because my tummy just didn't feel quite right.

When we got home from the bus stop, Evan wanted to know what was that smell?? And then it hit me. Ummm, that would be cooked crab that has turned. My can of crab meat said that it was good until something like September of 2010. But, it has been open for some time. I don't know how long, which makes me think it has been more than 2-3 weeks. Maybe I am supposed to know that the expiration date no longer means anything once you open the can. Is that common knowledge? If so, I missed that in my food education. Because my salsa has an expiration date on it, but it also says to discard 3 weeks after opening. The crab can has no such disclaimer. I looked.

But my tummy is still rumbling a bit, lo these many hours later.

Anyway. Now all the windows and doors in the house are open to let out what Evan is calling the "yucky smell" and I am very grateful that I am not deathly ill. And grateful that the weather is nice enough to be able to air out the house without soaking it or freezing to death.

But I am not very grateful that my first attempt at the stuffed mushrooms may make my stomach turn if I make a second attempt. I was really looking forward to the stuffed mushrooms being a lunch staple. I still may try again. Because it sure beats another grilled chicken salad with no real dressing to speak of....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not sick. Actually, I think it might be amazing you didn't get sick, but they certainly did look yummy. Julie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.