Friday, November 6, 2009

A bloggy contest

After much thought and prayer, I've decided (in the last 5 minutes) that I am going to host a contest. This is remarkable for a couple of reasons: a) I have never hosted a contest and b) I have about 6 readers as far as I am aware. (Maybe 7). But I got to thinking that my blog name (McCarthy Family Happenings) is just kinda boring and I need a new, catchy name. Most of the other blogs I follow have catchy little titles.

My favorite (and the one that inspired me to jump on the bloggy bandwagon), is Shay's My Other Blog is a Hybrid. I'm not really even sure what it means, but it amuses me. Her good friend Molly (whom I've never met, but I'm pretty sure we'd hit it off if we ever did) calls hers Southern Spunk - and has a super cute pic of her daughter running around in front of some azaleas to punctuate the southern. And then there's Thoughts and Inklings of an Artist (who rarely updates anymore, but still has a clever name), Confessions of a Rambling Mind... And of course, BooMama, BigMama, and MckMama (whose children all have McDonald's inspired bloggy code names to ensure their relative anonymity. Clearly she has more than six readers. As an aside, do click on over to MckMama's blog if you have a sec. She has a very ill little boy who may be having heart surgery in the next few days and could use all the additional prayers he can get. I am definitely praying for Stellen. Are you?)

Yes, I follow a lot of blogs. It is a sickness. But in my defense, I keep up with them on my iPhone so as not to spend an inordinate amount of time away from my family.

Anyhoo. I am very interested in all suggestions for a clever new name for my blog. Please don't leave me hanging by not posting any comments. It would be ever so embarrassing to host a contest with no entries. My feelings might get hurt. So, if you are one of my 6 readers, think hard, be creative, and post a suggestion. I'll leave the contest open for as long as it takes to get enough entries to make it interesting. Or until I see one I love. Or until it becomes painfully obvious that no one is going to participate. Whichever comes first.

Have a great Friday. We're off to dinner with friends followed by a puppet show. Later gators.

10 comments:

The Rambling Blogger said...

hmmm...i'm sleepy but want to play...since a lot of your blog focuses on your kids, i'm thinking the title needs to reflect that...

- Peachtrees, Cokes, & Chik-Fil-A: Adventures of a Southern Mom
- Mommy-At-Law
- Emergency Pants & Other Necessities (since i was ignorant of the need for emergency pants (but see the wisdom therein), they stuck with me)

Unknown said...

I love your blog- I guess I'm a secret follower. I'm not creative enough to come up with my own, but I really like clg1212's idea about Emergency pants and other necess. That sort of sums up our lives as moms doesn't it? Have a good contest!

Betty Lou said...

While I'm not very creative, I feel a need to respond, so here's my attempt to create: "McCart,
Evan & Pressley" Kinda sounds like a law firm?

Or, "Adventures of EP McCarthy," makes me think of a children's book, isn't that what you're creating, a journal for E&P?

That's all I'm good for....

pressley pages said...

What about "McCarthy Musings"? I know, I'm a little old fashion--but just a thought! Good luck on your contest! I like "Mommy-AT-Law" from cig1213, too.

Shay-Zee said...

I was going to suggest Elvis Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Or Elvis Don't Live Here No More, if you're from NC), but I like Cheryl's suggestions much better. The last is my fave.

Helen said...

Hmmm...you have me inspired and the creative juices are beginning to flow. But, suddenly they stopped....why?!? Because a contest is not truly a contest without dangling some sort of carrot treat in front of the rabbit's eyes. So, therefore, what is the prize of this contest? Then, my creative juices will begin flowing again. And, you might just say, the prize is getting to name my blog and if so, I'll be good with that. Just need to know.

Why Momma Loves the Maxi Dress said...

"Mo-Carthy Than You Can Handle"
"Mom Running In Circles"
The AmyMccarthyparty"
"McCarthy, Party of Four"

I know Im a corn ball. But I had to try. Thanks for the shout out...I'm sure we would hit it off.

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for contests, so here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:

It's Just My Life
Musings and Memories
All Things Considered
In the Motherhood
Just the Facts, M'am
The McCarthy Gazette
The Time of My Life

MHunter said...

The Exciting Adventures of Amy McCarthy

Our life in Orange (doesn't your whole family where orange or something for football?)

I like Mommy-at-law alot.

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to give up "Epitome of Peachiness" for the greater good. I think it would be a fun blog name, and I will never do a blog.