Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quite the morning

So, yesterday, we had decided to go meet my sister and her kids for the free movie at the Mall of Georgia. It starts at 10, and I live about 40 minutes away. I got myself and the kids ready and popped the popcorn (because they also let you take your own snacks) and realized there were no drinks in the house to be thrown in the bags. In retrospect, I desperately wish I had dragged out a couple of sippy cups and been done with it, but I made the ill-advised decision to stop and pick up canned drinks on the way.

Pressley, in all her infinite three-ness, decided to pitch not one, but two fits about getting into the car. The first was because Evan had gotten in on her side - OH, the humanity! The second was because she didn't want me to buckle her in, she wanted Evan (who was himself already buckled) to do the honors. And then she wanted DADDY!!! Of course she did. She always wants DADDY when I do something wholly unreasonable like trying to get her into her car seat so I can take her to a movie with her cousins. My bad!

So, we're running late. I stopped a convenience store on the way. They didn't have cans of sprite, which is the only soda I allow my kids to drink (and I don't allow even that all that often). After much pondering and hem-hawing, I decided on a 20 oz bottle and two cups with lids and straws (again - the sippy cups woulda been so much easier...).

I got onto 285, looking at my watch and gauging that we could probably still make it if I pushed the speed limit a bit. Then, I got lost in my thoughts. And MISSED the exit to 85 N. I mean, Spaghetti Junction is SO EASY to miss, for crying out loud. I got off at P'tree Industrial, which if you are familiar with Atlanta, you know is no easy place to turn around since it is itself a highway.

After all the madness, we finally made it to the movie - only 10 minutes late. It was PITCH black darkness in there, but we made it up to the top row where my sister always sits and finally, like blind people, got ourselves settled into some seats by feeling our way around. When daylight hit the movie screen and I could make out some outlines, I reached into the bag and got out the Sprite and the two cups and two lids and two straws.

You know where this is going, right? I unscrewed the top of the Sprite to the hideous sound of impending doom. The hissing warning that I was about to be covered in sticky messiness. And, then it happened. Sprite went ALL over my pants, SOAKING them, and continued to spew out all over the floor. I mean, really all I could do was laugh at that point.

I got up and went to the bathroom. I decided there was nothing I could do about my pants, but stuck my whole arm under the faucet to rinse the Sprite off my skin. Next, I nearly emptied a napkin dispenser at the concession stand and returned to my seat - in the TOP row - and set about placing napkins everywhere I thought there might be liquid. After all - I could not see it in the dark.

Thank the LORD that the rest of the day got better. I cannot really handle a whole lot of mornings like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah- the crap we go thru to make our kids happy! All mothers are right there with you. Next time: put your popcorn (or trail mix works good too)in little baggies and toss in a water bottle to share. We have learned after MANY trials and errors that works better for us.