Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It ain't easy being green (but may be easier than I thought)

**Note to my super-green friends (you know who you are...Shay...): Please don't judge me by the fact that I didn't do this earlier. Just be proud of me that I'm coming along, no matter how late I am to the party.**

I don't know if Evan is actually learning to read or write in pre-k, but I do know he is learning the importance of being ecologically responsible. It is something I know in my head, but I haven't exerted much energy to prove I know it is important. Evan has been on me for quite some time to get a recycle box. He constantly asks if the piece of trash he is holding up is recyclable. I certainly don't discourage it. Each time, I say something like "I'm so glad you are learning about that." or "I don't think we can recycle that." or "Yes, you are right, it is important to recycle. But, I haven't been good about encouraging it either. So, today, when I sat down to make a whole bunch of phone calls, I finally remembered to call the City of Atlanta Public Works and request our recycling bin. I had tried to do this a couple of months ago (following Evan's urging), but after being on hold for twenty minutes, I gave up. Today, I was successful. We should receive our official recycling bin shortly.

I even took it one step further. After I had lunch with a friend, I ran by the Publix to do some power shopping. The woman in front of me in line had her cart all loaded up with her re-usable canvas bags. So, I took the plunge. I bought several. I have to confess that my motivation was not entirely pure. I have enviously eyed the flat bottoms and large capacity on those bags before thinking, "I bet when your groceries are in one of those, your milk doesn't fall over the first time you make a turn on the way home and dribble stubborn stickiness on the rest of the stuff in that bag..." I also find myself very annoyed when the grocery bagger puts one item in a bag. Admittedly, not entirely for "green" reasons, but because that is just one more bag I have to juggle on my way in the door with my car keys and two kids underfoot. Now the trick will just be for me to remember to take these bags back to the store (and inside) for future shopping excursions.

I hope that someday Evan will read this entry and be proud of himself for being the catalyst for my responsible behavior. BTW - I do know that Evan is learning to read and write and even do math in pre-k. But, come on. You know me. I can't resist a little hyperbole from time to time...

3 comments:

Shay-Zee said...

Tip: After you unload your groceries, hang the bags on the door to the garage and stick them in the car the next time you go out. You will learn not to forget. It takes approximately 6 years.

Betty Lou said...

We recycle at work; our company is ISO certified which means we have inspectors come in to audit our cont'd certification. Been a recycler at home for over 10 years, it sure does cut down on the trash bags. As for the grocery cloth bags, my forgetfulness is taking them in the store from the car. We even got a blue recycle bin in the choir room at church recently. Go green!

The Rambling Blogger said...

i really love our canvas bags simply b/c we get more in them and they don't dig into your hands the way plastic does. both are key for us since we are back in apt life and making the garage-to-4th-floor journey with the load. though we still have to tell the baggers to relly load 'em up and not just put in three items