Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm not ready for this

I went to the elementary school today for a kindergarten open house. I cannot believe my first-born child will be going to kindergarten this fall. Can someone please slow down the clock??

Our neighborhood elementary school is excellent. In fact, you may have seen it featured on the news last spring when it came into the spotlight because of the 40 families camped out for days on end to get their children into the school's pre-k program. We toured the school with the PTA president, met one of the kindergarten teachers, the principal, the art teacher, the music teacher, and the P.E. teacher. It was great to see the school and get a mental picture of what Evan's life will look like next year. But. I'm am so not ready to have a child in kindergarten. Just for the record.

On the walls outside the kindergarten classes were bar graphs - created by the children - depicting the favorite foods of their classmates. Outside of the second grade classes, tables held home made mud huts and bead necklaces made (apparently) during a unit studying native Americans. Have I mentioned I'm not ready for this?

No comments: