Saturday, July 31, 2010

Camp Mommy: Evan's week

Pressley has been at cheerleading camp this week (post to follow), so I've had a great week spending quality time with my sweet Evan. On Tuesday, we went to Fernbank. We've been to Fernbank several times over the past few years, given its proximity to our house. Evan is a big fan of dinosaurs, so Fernbank seems an obvious choice for entertainment.



Right now, there is a gecko exhibit there. It is a pretty cool exhibit. Not as interactive as I might have liked, but we were entertained. There was a sign on each enclosure that told us how many geckos were in there, so we felt it was our duty to find them all before we moved on.



Ok. So confession time: there is area called a Walk through Time in Georgia or some such thing. I swear, I have never noticed it in all of our outings to Fernbank, and as others may already be aware...THAT'S where most of the dinosaurs are! I've always thought it was just the giant skeleton in the big atrium and some in the outdoor areas. I had no idea this other area existed.

Evan was not quite as excited as I would have guessed he would be, but I guess that is what happens when you take a kid to the Museum of Natural History when he's three and a half. The local stuff fails to impress.


Finally, we headed to the kids' playrooms to round out our visit. Only, the play rooms are closed for renovations. Instead, there is a tiny area called "Greatest Hits of the Children's Playrooms" or something along those lines. There is the fishing boat, some city building blocks, and the little bin of "fresh produce." That's it for the greatest hits. I hope the renovation is done before the year-long membership I just bought expires!


The next day, Evan and I went to paint pottery. We took our own stencils that we printed on the computer and cut out. Evan picked a plate and a cup to paint and I think they turned out super-cute. I gotta say, though. Painting pottery with a child is an awful lot of work for a control freak like me. It is not easy to make said child feel like it is his own thing while still maintaining some sense that it will turn out like it is "supposed to." I can't tell you anymore about the pottery because we still haven't picked up it and when I tried to get Evan to tell Corin what we had painted, he said he wanted it to be a surprise.

We also rented a movie one day. I'm not sure what Evan enjoyed more: watching the movie or helping me rent it from the Blockbuster Express machine in the Publix.

Finally, on Friday, we went to see Despicable Me. It was super cute and we enjoyed it very much. GranNan and Poppy had to pick Pressley up from camp that day since the movie ran a little longer and would prevent us from picking her up on time. So, we rounded out the week by having lunch with them.

All in all, it was a great way to spend some good bonding time before my big boy starts first grade next Monday.

Stay tuned for a post about Pressley's experience at cheer camp as well as a post - or at least a picture - of the snaggle-toothed boy who lost his first tooth during Camp Mommy.

2 comments:

MHunter said...

Beautiful family!

Denise said...

Amy - I can't believe how big Evan is getting! Seems like just last week, you mom was bringing him into the nursery for me to watch on Wednesday nights!

Your children are precious!

Enjoy EVERY moment!

Denise