Saturday, June 6, 2009

So behind the 8 ball

It is hard to believe that it has been over a week since I blogged. Where do the days go? We had a fun weekend last weekend. We took the kids to the air show at the Peachtree DeKalb Airport. There were fire trucks, airplanes, and jumpy things, so the kids had a big time. It was hot, and we stayed past nap time (for Pressley), so there were eventually melt-downs, but I guess that is to be expected with kids.

Monday was my birthday, so after a day packed full of activities, we met up with daddy at the Atlanta Fish Market for a birthday dinner. The kids were super-excited about the promise of a gigantic fish out in front of the restaurant, and they diligently helped me look for it from the car. They were not disappointed. It took some wrangling to get them inside the restaurant, but they were thrilled to find live lobsters in a tank inside. I was thrilled to be at a grown-up restaurant for my birthday. It was a good day, made more special by a sweet husband who let me sleep until 9 a.m., kids who were more or less agreeable all day, and thoughtful friends who sent many well wishing messages. I could not be more blessed. Really.


On Tuesday, we went to a strawberry farm out in Loganville to pick strawberries with Helen and Tricia and their boys. It was a fun adventure. VERY hot. But, fun. We picked strawberries for about an hour and then had a picnic in the shade. I was a bit disappointed in our take. We got a whole bucket of beautiful strawberries, but by the time I got them home to wash them, over half of them were complete mush. I don't know what happened. They were still tasty, but not nice and firm like you'd expect from freshly picked strawberries. Oh, well. It was worth the $10 just for the activity and adventure.




In addition to all the other fun activities this week, the kids have been taking swimming lessons at Dynamo. Pressley was making such good progress with her lessons when the last session ended that I thought it would be a good idea to keep going for one more session. And, I knew Evan would not be amused if I made him sit with me while she was in the pool, so he is getting lessons too. They are both enjoying the lessons. Pressley did get paired with Mr. Keithan again (thank GOODNESS!!). They are both getting a lot out of it. Evan is learning to float on his back and Pressley is learning to "torpedo" all by herself. But, I will be so glad when they are over. It is a lot of work to get two kids up from naps and into the car for a 30 minute drive in traffic to get to a 4:40 swim lesson and then back home in traffic to cook supper. The lessons are every day, Monday through Thursday for two weeks. So we are halfway home.

Perhaps it is all this activity that has me so behind on my blogging. I'll try to do better.

More pics at the May 09 and newly-created June 09 links.

No comments: