Sunday, December 7, 2008

Seriously?!?

Last night when I went upstairs to get ready for bed, I found the door to the water closet in the master bath locked from the inside. The kids were both sound asleep and Corin was downstairs watching television, so clearly no one was in there. I went and got a paperclip and set about trying to pick the lock... to no avail. This morning, Corin got out all kinds of tools and tried to pick the lock... to no avail. Then he googled how to pick a bathroom door lock on the Internet and followed some vague, not particularly helpful instructions he found there. Again, to no avail. After church, we stopped at the drugstore to buy one of those eyeglasses tool kits with the tiny screwdriver - our last ditch attempt before calling a locksmith. Corin worked on the door again when we got home from church. Still no luck. All this time, we had been asking the kids if one of them had been playing with the door and might have turned the lock and then closed the door. Denial all around. Finally, just a few minutes ago, Corin went to fiddle with it again. This time success. I heard the joyful ah-hah of the success from down the hall. Then I heard another not-so-joyful utterance.

I said, "Did you get it? How did you get?"

He said, "Doing the same thing I've been doing. But now we have a much bigger problem."

"What?" I say.

"Come look."

Uh, oh. I don't like the sound of that....

So I went down the hall to look. What I find is that the toilet is FULL of toilet paper. I had just changed the roll late yesterday afternoon and now it was empty. So, when I say FULL of toilet paper, I mean a whole roll. Underneath all the toilet paper is a poo. Corin asked if I thought Pressley did it. My answer would have been yes if there had been no poo, but since she is not even sitting on the "big potty" yet, much less making a poo there, I was sure it wasn't her - even though she is about the right age to think that unrolling a whole roll of toilet paper into the potty is big fun. Nope, it was Evan.

I went and sat on the floor of his room with him.

"Evan," I said, "You are not in trouble, but I need you to tell me the truth. Daddy just opened the bathroom door and we found a whole roll of toilet paper (and a poo) in the potty. Did you do that?"

"Uh, huh," he said. "By accident."

"Ummmm, that was not an accident. You had to have stood there and pulled off a whole roll of toilet paper into the potty. Did you do that? You are still not in trouble, but you need to tell the truth."

A wide-eyed vigorous nod.

As of now, he still has not admitted to locking the door, but he does admit closing it. Presumably to delay our discovery of what he had done. So it is very clear to me that he knew he was doing something bad when he did it.

The good news: 1) We didn't have to call a locksmith and have him be the one to discover that scene; 2) We did not have to call a plumber. Against my better judgment, Corin decided to flush, just to see what would happen I guess. And it all went down. No plunger needed. No plumber needed. Fabulous.

The bad news: I'm not convinced it will not happen again.

So, again I say.... Seriously?!?

1 comment:

Shay-Zee said...

Is Evan still not in trouble?